Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I ran a White Romex 14 gage 15 amp wire from an electrical

Customer Question

I ran a White Romex 14 gage 15 amp wire from an electrical outlet box in the back splash wall of my kitchen about 1 foot up through the wall and then out again to hard-wire an under cabinet lighting strip. One electrician told me that is fine since my under cabinet lights use very little electricity. Another electrician said I need to use a Yellow Romex 12 gage 20 amp wire instead to be "up to code." I live in Little Elm TX and need to know if I need to pull out the white Romex and replace it with Yellow. I will be forced to pull off tile too.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Did you tap off of one of the existing countertop receptacle wall boxes to get power?
2) Take a look at your main electrical panel, are the circuit breakers for the kitchen countertop wall receptacles 15 or 20 amp breakers?