Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

We purchased an oscillating ceiling fan, but have no wire to

Customer Question

We purchased an oscillating ceiling fan, but have no wire to connect to the blue wire to make it oscillate. What other color would connect?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Matthew Payette replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Matt let me see if I can help. in order to run an oscillating fan you need a 3 conductor wire between the switch and the fan box, 3 conductor meaning a black, white, green, and usually a red. You would also need the oscillating selector switch usually included with the fan. Now if you want the fan to always oscillate you can just hook the blue oscillation wire to the black wire. If you have any more questions let me know.