Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I live in a mobile home I am having problems with my lights

Customer Question

I live in a mobile home I am having problems with my lights and outlets in the home, the lights woild dim up and down all the time every few minutes pretty big noticeable dimm not some some small.flickering even my fan that is on full blast is not working to its max plwer, my fridge is also only working aboit 20% of its power it seems like it, I had electric company come out and they shut off my electricety so I could replace the 4 fuses under the home, 2 of there where frn-r 6p fuses 250v and 2 where non 60 fuses 240 I replaced all 4 with frn-r 60 fuses and I'm still having the same pronlem, was I supposed to put in 2 of each like it had before or am I having problems somewhere else?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike G and will be glad to assist you. Your description indicates a bad connection on either the neutral or one of the phase conductors. Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester and are willing to make a few tests to pin point the failure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will this required me to crawl understand the mlbile.home to get to the fuse box?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, yes. Who was the idiot that put it there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Stupid managers here most the box's at neighbors are underneath in middle, will I be testing the fuses?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Depending on tests that start on the feed first, possibly. Do some lights go bright and others dim to an orange color?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm a little worried messing with the box where the main electricity comes from, I do think think they turn orange they all just dim like half way and the come back to full every 4-5 minutes same with fridge and my fan that I got plugged it will spin full speed when lights dim fan slows down half way spinning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Putting in a frn-r 6p fuae instead of non 60 250v you think there would be a problem there ?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Well the problem is a bad connection or if the service is underground a possible failure of a conductor. It is caused by a making and breaking of the feed or circuit. With a tester we could locate it and possible correct it by tightening a termination or at worst find an underground failure which would be a major repair and with an electrical inspection make you move the panel to an acessable location.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
The failure of a fuse means no power not dimming.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I the house I could rest seems like only half of my place is dimming other half is not
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
No, it is a loose connection or a wire failure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The electricety is at full power now, longer then it as been in a while over 5 minutes now, it's dark now and I would not be able to crawl under the home now, I will do it tomorrow turn the electricety off on the meter and check for loose wiers under the home
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
No, the first test is at the meter disconnect with the power on. Test the 2 hots to each other for 240V and then each hot to the neutral for 120V. Test bothe line and load there. If the reading are less than stated look for signs of arcing on the terminations. If found OK, repeat the tests on the panel under the unit. Let me know the readings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a meter reader but never used it before what setting should I be on, there is dcv acv and dCA
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
ACV in a 300V range
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok there is acv 200 and acv 750
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
750V
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lights got even worse now I don't think there will be much I can do, probably time to call an electrician to come out and check it out
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Up to you. At least you'll know what he's looking for.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah I'm a little worried tearing the box with electricity coming to it, it was different when all the power was shut off
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Can't test with the power off.