Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I want to install a timer in a non GFI circuit. However, the

Customer Question

I want to install a timer in a non GFI circuit. However, the timer has line, neutral, ground and load wires but the wires in the junction bow don't include a load wire. Is there a way to safely install the timer so it will work?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) What is the application for the timer?
Are you replacing a wall switch to control a light or are you looking to have the timer control a wall receptacle?
2) Please confirm... does the wall box contain a neutral wire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The timer is replacing a switch that is used to control some outside lights. The switch is in the garage. We want to set the lights to go on and off when we are gone. The box has black (hot), white (neutral) and green (ground) wires.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the replies.
1) Please confirm... was the existing wall switch a single pole switch that could only operate the exterior lights from one wall switch location or did you have a 3-way switch installed and the lights are controlled from 2 or more wall locations?
2) Can you provide me the total quantity of house wires inside the box? Are any of the house wires wire nutted and spliced together? Any groups of white wires that are spliced together?