ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

If I wire a new power cord 240v dryer with the black

Customer Question

If I wire a new power cord for a 240v dryer with the black on the left, white in the middle and red on the right on the back of the dryer, when I wire the receptacle do I run the red on the left, white in the middle and black on the right?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Ken and I will be glad to help with your question. Thanks for using http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-prograde
Since this on a single-phase system, the only critical wire is the white, it has to be on the neutral terminal on the outlet & dryer end. I have never seen a dryer where the neutral is not in the middle position as you describe. It doesn't matter if you get black to black & red to red or if it is red to black, either way will work fine & safely as long as neutral is to neutral.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help, that answers my question
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Thank you