Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

We have a circuit that has two garage duplex outlets (one is

Customer Question

We have a circuit that has two garage duplex outlets (one is a GFCI) and also powers an exterior landscape pump (hard wired). The two outlets power little (shop vac/battery trickle charger). This has been unchanged for 20 years.
Recently the GFI began tripping after the pump was on for about 2 hours. We replaced the pump, the GFI receptacle, the pump then ran for over 4 hours.
We then replaced the pump switch and it ran for over 8 hours before tripping.
It has been suggested to run a dedicated circuit for the pump from the panel to the pump switch. The line from the switch to the pump is buried.
Do you think running the dedicated circuit as described is advisable? Or are there other alternataives? As a lay person the fact that there has been a several hour delay before the GFI trips I'm skeptical about this as a solution.
Thanks.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. If the pump is cord connected to an outlet, install a GFCI receptacle there and reconfigure the line from the garage on its own circuit. This may be all that is required. If it still trip, the issues is with the pump. This will be a faster, less expensive alternative.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately the pump is hard wired with the power buried from the house switch to the pump. The reason I'm skeptical about running a dedicated circuit to the switch is this. Could the problem be the buried line between the switch and the pump? Then just running a dedicated line from the panel to the switch wouldn't fix the buried line, right?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Could very well be the burried line. If not in conduit, more than likely. There should be a means of disconnect at the pump. A GFCI receptacle would be that disconnect.