AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have a 100 watt HID recess f can type fixture in soffit we

Customer Question

I have a 100 watt HID recess f can type fixture in soffit we replaced bulbs most all of the 17 I changed out came on pretty bright the other few are a pinkish color is that due to a bad ballast
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did u understand my question
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Are all the bulbs the same lot of manufacture?Is the light intensity the same, just a pinkish hew in the bulb?Do you have the make and model of the bulbs? Ones that are burning fine and the ones that are not?Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are all the same bulb prolume h38 dx 100 watt hid
Ok, thanks for the added information.Looking at the specifications, the lamp has a 4K color temperature, so they should be in the white area and not in the pink tone for sure.It appears the issue would be bulb related and not the ballast but some ballasts may not be striking and providing the proper energy to keep the vapor ignited at the proper temperature.Bulbs have a gas inside and that is what ignites and provides the light you see. HID fixtures can sometimes be difficult to determine which is at fault, but the one true method is very easy.Take one of the bulbs that is producing the pink hew and swap it with one that is burning properly.If swapping gives the same pink hew and the other one is bright as normal, then you know it is your bulbs.If it burns correctly being moved and the other goes to the pink hew, then you know it is the ballast assembly. It may seem odd, but that is the best way with any HID or even fluorescent fixtures, because of the gases and ignition.I think it is bulb related, as I have seen cases produce odd results from some manufacturers.Only have to do one swap and that will give the needed information.Keep me posted,Thanks