Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I accidentally cut through a 110 volt line in my attic. Can

Customer Question

I accidentally cut through a 110 volt line in my attic. Can I splice and reconnect in a junction box using wire nuts?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You can indeed splice the damaged wire in a junction box, with wire nuts, using an approved cover for the box. The box must remain accessible at all times.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Something to keep in mind is that a wire that is damaged this way is sometimes too short to bring both ends into a junction box with sufficient length for splicing. When that happens, some electricians have been known to install 2 boxes, with each side of the cut going into one box, and a new section of wire between the two boxes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the quick response. I accidentally cut through the romex while doing a drywall ceiling repair. Can the junction box be nailed to the joist in the attic and covered back with insulation?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Covered with insulation in an accessible attic is considered accessible, so that's okay.