Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

The living room light just went out but the breaker didnt trip.

Customer Question

The living room light just went out but the breaker didnt trip. I changed the fixture and switch and still nothing. I tested the voltage at the switch and got about 114 115volts then when I tested the fixture im only reading 11v
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Where did you measure on the switch and fixture wires?Measure from hot to neutral and then from hot to ground at both the switch and light wires to see what oyu have at both.Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both were measured hot to neutral
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Theres only 2 wires on both black and white
Ok, thanks.If the house wiring doesn't have a ground, it may be a loose neutral connection only.Have you removed the neutral connection in the back of the switch box to see if they have a good copper to copper connection?If you have an extension cord, plug it into a receptacle and take the other end up to the ceiling light.Use one lead in the Long slot of the cord and the other lead to the black in the ceiling.See if you have 120 volts that way.Is there anything else that is dead now on that same circuit?Thanks