ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

What is wrong with my generator when it only clicks when I

Customer Question

What is wrong with my generator when it only clicks when I hit the starter
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Ken and I will be glad to help with your question. Thanks for using http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-prograde
This usually indicates a defective battery but is also a symptom of a bad starter solenoid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A starter solenoid is where on the generator or is it part of the automotive equipment?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
It should be on or near the generator. There is a large cable the connects to the starter. Follow that cable, it connects to the starter solenoid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I put my finger over the insert of the fuel pump and pull the lever many times there is no suction at my finger does that mean the fuel pump is defective?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
I would think so but the engine should turn over whether the fuel pump works or not. Sounds like you have multiple unrelated problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the starter solenoid part of the system or is it part of the rest of the car? by the way there is no starter on this thing it works without a starter?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
It is definitely part of the system. The car has a separate one for its engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so should I get a new starting solenoid and a new starter and it will work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
starting soleniod and fuel pump and it should work?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
Yes, if there are not other problems that have not been discovered. You would have to replace these defective parts to determine what else, if anything may be required.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the parts are obsoleted for that motor cant I just get parts for a 12 volt Cummins starter?
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
Best bet is to find an Auto Electric Shop - a shop that rebuilds alternator & starters. They would be able to rebuild the starter if that is required.