Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

My cover won't close but it will open

Customer Question

my cover won't close but it will open
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Details are needed.What is this about, the equipment or item with the cover?There is no mention of the exact application in the question.Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it is electrical i believe.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it opens but doesn't close. There was water on it so we thought that it was too heavy but then we thought it was the switch. But now after inspecting the wire in both the motor and the switch we got it to o
finish opining but can't close it...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
finish opening sorry
Ok,What is the cover on? Do not know what it is yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pool cover sorry
Ok, thanks.What controller do you have on the cover operation?Just a switch with open, off and close?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes hold to open and hold to close off is straight up
Ok,Does it move at all when trying to close? Or just nothing , no movement or motor noise? Is the switch mounted in a large box? One that can be openedto see if there is a label inside?Or is it a small box?Trying to see if this is a manufacturer setup or one that was put togetherby someone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does nothing. It is mounted by my gazebo . it was done by a profession electrician friend. it is in a single metal box. i noticed the white wire weren't hooked up. Are the the neutral?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it may have had a slight discoloration on the white wire but barely noticeable. one of the white look like it was never hook up to anything too short just a lithe wire showing
Ok,If it wasn't hooked up before, it couldn't be the issue.Sounds like maybe in the switch contacts or at the motor.Open the wiring compartment on the motor and get a picture for review.Are there any limit switches to stop the cover from over extending?One on each end?Could be a stuck limit if they are installed. Would need to see the setup through pictures to pick anything out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do i send you a picture?
Use the little paper clip symbol on the tool bar above the chat window.that allows to get pictures off your PC and post directly here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i was done for the day ill work on it in a bit
Ok, very good. I understand.