Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I am trying to splice my tv power with a line coming directly

Customer Question

I am trying to splice my tv power with a line coming directly from wall. Wall has white green and black wires while TV only has white and black.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Not sure that I'm understanding your question? Can you provide some additional details?
2) Are you splicing a TV electrical cord? Does the TV cord not contain a plug? Is the plug a 2 or 3 prong plug?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just purchased a home and the owner had his TV connected ny splicing a TV power cord with an electric cord coming directly from wall. His power cord does work for our TV. I am trying to splice my TV power cord with the one coming from wall. My TV power cord had white and black wires inside it. The wall cord has white black and green.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the replies.
1) So your TV does not contain a cord with an attached 2 or a 3 prong built-in plug that will plug into a wall receptacle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does but I do not want to use it. The cord coming from the wall is there specifically for the TV so there is no cord hanging when it is mounted to the wall.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I am asking can I splice the cord from TV with only black and white wires to you cord coming from wall with black white and green wire?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
OK, Thanks for the replies.
1) That's gonna present a problem since all electrical splices must reside within an accessible junction/splice box.
2) The correct method is to install a recessed wall receptacle and plug the TV into it. The wall receptacle is installed directly behind the TV. The home center stores (Depot or Lowes) sell specific recessed electrical receptacle boxes just for this application.
3) Cutting the TV power cord and splicing into it will also void the "UL" or "ETL" listing of the TV set.
With the above items in mind, I will opt of the question and place it back to the open question board. I am unable to advise on connecting a TV power cord in this manner due to potential safety issues. No need to reply back to me, you will be notified once another expert picks up your question.