Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I ran new wire from a dimmer switch new outlet, my problem

Customer Question

I ran new wire from a dimmer switch for a new outlet, my problem is that when you plug anything into the outlet and turn it on the light will flicker, I even wired the wire straight to the main wire and the light will still flicker even though the dimmer switch has been removed
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) You have a wall dimmer switch that is controlling a wall receptacle, is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was wired to the main power line that feeds the dimmer switch and the receptacle
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
I'm not understanding your reply.
1) Do you have a wall receptacle that is wired to and controlled from a wall dimmer switch?
Is the intent of the wall dimmer switch to turn OFF and ON and/or dim a plugged-in table lamp using a wall receptacle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No,the dimmer controls the ceiling light,but when you plug anything into the receptacle and turn whatever is plugged in on the ceiling light will flicker
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
OK, very good. Thanks for the confirmation. I was wondering if the dimmer switch was controlling a receptacle as that is a code violation.
1) Flickering lights are an indication of a loose wire termination or a faulty splice.
2) Do you have any splice boxes located in between the wall switch and the lighting fixture?
3) Have you checked the wire terminations at the receptacle as well as at the switch box and light fixture box?
Are the receptacle wires terminated to the side screws or using the "back-stab" insert holes?