AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have a hunter ceiling fan with a remote, a wall switch and

Customer Question

I have a hunter ceiling fan with a remote, a wall switch and no pull chains. The lights will not work but the remote will still turn on the fan to its different speeds as intended. It will only not turn on the lights and I'm wondering if this is an easy fix. I took off the light portion and all wires seem tight
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Do you know if the receiver for the fan is in the canopy at the ceiling bracket or in the fan itself?Do you have a 2 lead voltage tester for troubleshooting?Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tommy. I'm not entirely sure where the receiver is. I have taken the light portion off and can add a picture if you'd like. I do not have a voltage tester at this time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is the picture
Ok,A tester will allow some tests to determine if the receiver is bad or if the fans Wattage limiter has failed.The government requires a wattage limiter on fans to prevent over loading the sockets, and they are very prone to failure.Testing the wire in that large connector that mates with the wire tot he light sockets will help to determine the issue hopefully.It will be one or the other, there is nothing else in the circuitry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure where to find the receiver or the limiter. Would they be in the ceiling connectors
You have to drop the canopy at the ceiling where the fan connects to the hanger.If the receiver is there, you will see it, its a rectangular box with 5-6 wires coming out of it.If it isnt there, it is inside the fan, find the slide switches if the fan has them and that is the receiverFollow the wires from the light sockets and see if they connect to a small black box, if so then that is the wattage limiter.That is why a tester is the only way to know which it is that is bad