Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I do not have a volt meter. I do however have a volt tester. The

Customer Question

I do not have a volt meter. I do however have a volt tester.
The only wire coming out of the ceiling is a black wire but it does not show that it is hot with the volt tester. The other three wires show that they are hot. Help
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Please explain further. What are you doing? What was there? What colors are the other wires and are any connected to each other?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm trying to put in a new three speed fan switch. The other wires are green, gray, brown.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None are connected to each other.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Is this in a ceiling fan? If so, there are so many makes and switch types that makes me have to pass on the question. I'll opt out and put it back up for another expert. No reply is necessary.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Is this a pull chain switch or a wall mounted switch?
If a pull chain switch, have you already removed the original fan pull chain switch? If so, did you document which wire colors that landed on the L,1,2, & 3 terminations?
2) A ceiling fan 3 speed pull chain switch always has 4 wire colors, you only mention 3 wire colors. One of the wire colors will be black.
Green is always a ground wire and never terminates to a fan pull chain switch. So what are the 4 wire colors that were originally connected to the switch?
3) Is the replacement pull chain switch an "exact" replacement or did you just purchase a generic replacement pull chain switch from Home Depot or Lowe's?
Let me know what you have in place and we can take it from there.....Thanks.......Kevin!