Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I've added a bathroom fan to a bathroom that only has a light

Customer Question

I've added a bathroom fan to a bathroom that only has a light and a single pole switch. The wiring in the current switch box has two lines coming in and two black wires to the switch and two white separately connected to each other. I have new romex to the fan and swapped our the single gang for a double. How to wire fan to new switch
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You would need to find the black wire that feeds power into the existing switch. Tap into that wire to feed the second switch. The new black wire would then connect to the other terminal on the new switch. Add the new white wire to the existing splice of 2 white wires. Add your new ground wire to the existing ground splice, and ground the new switch.