Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

I have a situation where a 200A main breaker sub-panel is fed

Customer Question

I have a situation where a 200A main breaker sub-panel is fed from the main panel with a 200A breaker and 000 wire is this legel. The main panel breaker IT is set at 1500A and the sub-panel breaker IT is set at about 1200A
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) A 200 amp feeder circuit requires a minimum of 2/0 Copper or 4/0 Aluminum. Keep in mind that this is the minimum conductor size per the National Electrical Code. A lengthy feeder circuit run will have a voltage drop and the conductors may need to be increased in size. NEC recommends that the voltage drop be at 3% or less.
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to know about the main panel breaker is it to small
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
1) Sub-panel feeder breaker sizes are typically smaller than the main panel breaker size.
2) For example, a common home that has a 200 amp service will usually have a maximum of a 100 amp feeder breaker for a downstream sub-panel. This is a very common amperage ratio size from a main panel to a sub-panel.
3) If the main panel is 200 amp and installing another 200 amp feeder breaker for a downstream sub-panel, you basically have a "pass-thru" amperage and are allowing 100% of the 200 amp main to feed into the downstream sub-panel using a 200 amp double pole feeder breaker.
4) Sub-panels are sized according to the calculated connected loads.