Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I am going to install a Sub-panel 125 feet from the main

Customer Question

I am going to install a Sub-panel 125 feet from the main panel can I use a Main Lug panel
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question.
1) A main lug panel can be installed if the quantity of single pole branch circuit breakers is 6 or less.
2) If greater than 6 single pole branch circuit breakers installed in the sub-panel, then either a main breaker panel or a main disconnected installed upstream of the sub-panel is required.
3) The National Electrical Code limits the quantity of single pole breakers to (6) six on any main lug panelboard. After 6, there must be another form of a main disconnect.....ie..... main breaker or a main disco switch.
4) A main breaker panel is always recommended. Especially if installing the sub-panel 125 feet away from the main panel. The main breaker allows you to kill power directly at the sub-panel without going back to kill power at the double pole feeder breaker located inside a main panel.
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.