Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

The ceiling fan I am installing doesn't have a ground wire

Customer Question

the ceiling fan I am installing doesn't have a ground wire coming out of the housing. Is it enough to just connect the house ground to the mounting box?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Yes, if the ceiling fan box is a metal box, terminate the house equipment grounding conductor to the metal box using a green threaded ground screw. A metal ceiling box will contain a threaded ground hole.
2) Per the National Electrical Code (NEC), all metal boxes require an equipment grounding conductor. The house equipment ground terminated to the metal ceiling box will comply with the NEC.
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Thanks.......Kevin!
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.......Kevin!