AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Can 4 rtsy 200a3 transfer switches be used with a sg080 generator

Customer Question

can 4 rtsy 200a3 transfer switches be used with a sg080 generator and how wouldit be done also what is the size of the circuit breaker of a sg080 at 120/240 single phase
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE WAITING ALL DAY WHAT IS THE ANSWER
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Need some clarification on the situation.First, The SG080 is a 333 amp generator at 120/240 volts at maximum peak with a 300 amp continuous output.Are you wanting to power several sources form the generator?You are asking about using 4- separate transfer switches, is that correct?The details of the situation will help to determine possible connections.Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WE WANT TO USE 4 SERVICE RATED TRANSFER SWITCHES . THEY WILL BE SUPPLIED BY A 600 AMP UTILITY SERVICE. THEY WILL SUPPLY 4 200 AMP CIRCUIT BREAKER PANELS IN THE RESIDENCE. WE WILL BE USING ENERGY MANAGEMENT/ LOAD SHEDDING TO PREVENT OVERLOADING THE GENERATOR.CAN WE USE ONE TO CONTROL THE GENERATOR AND INTERCONNECT THE LOW VOLTAGE TRANSFER CIRCUITRY TO THE 3 OTHERS?
Ok, thanks for the details.You would have to use the same input to trigger all the ATS's at the same time. If you had one trigger and the others lag behind because of the so called "master" providing the trigger for the others, you could get into a power situation that is unwanted.The master could lose power on the one panel only, and that would put the utility and generator on at the same time.Even though the other ATS;s would not be activated, Need to avoid any possible crossover of power since they are all on one service. I was more concerned with the 4 ATS units.Seems I remember somewhere that Genarac only allowed for 3 maximum on one generator.I have been checking their site and unable to find that information as yet. That would be the item that makes or breaks the situation, is if they have a limit on transfer swoitches in their documentation.Other than a manufacturers limitations, should be no problem.