AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have a hunter ceiling fan/light that functions by remote

Customer Question

I have a hunter ceiling fan/light that functions by remote only. the fan function works normally but the light operation has stopped working.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.First, what type of bulb does the fan use in the light kit originally?What type of bulb and the wattage is in the fan now?Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have tried several bulbs but currently there is a standard 60 watt bulb. the fan says on it "use 60 20 AIT". not sure what that second part means.

Ok, thanksWhat is the make and model of the fan, as the use 60 20 AIT, is not a term that is familiar.Can you also, drop the light kit down so you can access the wiring to the kit?Once dropped, you can follow the black lead off the light kit and see where the other end originates.Yours may have single wires or a large connector.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it's a hunter fan but i can't read the model number - it's worn off the remote. i can drop the light and access the black lead. i should also say that the light has worked for several years - this isn't a new installation that has never worked.

Ok, thanks.The model number is ***** on the remote, it is on the fan itself. Will be a label of some type with all the information.The most likely problem, is the fan has what is called a "wattage limiter".The wonderful government stepped in years ago and started requiring them on fans to keep people from using hoigh wattage bulbs.Problem is, they have a poor quality record and fail on their own, either blinking the lights or shutting them down all together.They are difficult to find for replacement but the link below can most likely assist in acquiring a new one.If they don't have it or cannot get it, most likely cannot be found.Hunter will not provide anything on the fan with the limiters.CLICK HERE for best sourceLook towards the bottom of the page and you will many variations of them, and might even spot one like yours.Will await the information and then we will know for sure.A 2 lead voltage tester will help also, as the problem could be a pull chain switch if it has one.If no pull chain, then its most likely the wattage limiter.Thanks