AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Bought a track light 4 bulb 50 watt halogen. Switched to 6

Customer Question

Bought a track light 4 bulb 50 watt halogen. Switched to 6 watt led and they are flickering unless I leave one halogen in. How do I fix this?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Please provide some more detail on the situation.1. Is the track light low voltage 24 or standard 120 volts?2. Does the light have a standard wall switch or a dimmer?3. What make and model of LED bulbs?Let me know and we can continue,Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fixture is 120v and no dimmer. The lights are jacky led brand model x000mfbgh5. Gu10 cob 6w cool
Ok, thanks.Looking over the specifications and the setup, there really is no sound reason to have the problem.Should be able to use all LED and operate perfectly fine.The only thing, i can think of, is for some reason the switch is not allowing the low current through when you have all LED, or bad connections.I would first see if there is any combination that works with LED's in 3 positions but see if it continues no matter which 3 positions.If you have a 2 lead voltage tester, I suggest to install the 3 led and nothing in the 4th position.Then turn on the power and if they are flickering, measure the voltage in the socket without a bulb.If no tester is available, I would pull the light switch and remove the 2 wires form the switch.The connect the 2 wires directly together and turn on power to see the results.If it cures the issue, a new switch is in order. If not, then need to check the connections in the fixture itself.There has to be a voltage swing somewhere causing the problem, just need to find where it is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will buy the tester and see what can be done. I will share with you the results in a few days when I return home from work.
Ok, very good. Thanks