Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have two outdoor motion sensor lights which are not coming

Customer Question

I have two outdoor motion sensor lights which are not coming on. The red light is flashing. I would have thought that the bulbs were burned out or sensor was bad, but when I put it in test mode, the lights come on. The weird thing is that, in test mode, the light intensity pulsates quickly from brighter to dimmer, as if there is something going on with the amount of power going to them. Any idea what this might be. There may be a third light with the same problem, but have not gotten on a ladder to check it out. It is not coming on either. All 3 lights are on different sides of my garage, and have worked well until just recently.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Have you had lightning in the area recently? Do you have a volt meter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just checked our past weather, and we did have lightning here in early March. We were out of town at the time. It is possible that the lights may have been weird for a while and we just never noticed it. We do have a volt meter, but I'm not sure how to use it, especially in this scenario.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. If you are interested, I think we could solve this faster over the phone. I can work with you on how to use the meter. There is a very small additional fee for the phone consultation, as the site considers that an upgrade over a typed chat. Please let me know your thoughts about a phone consultation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband is getting the volt meter. We can try the phone consultation. Give us a few minutes. How do we get in contact?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I will send you an offer for the upgraded service. Once you accept the offer, we will both get private boxes on our screens for entering private contact info. That keeps our phone numbers from showing up on Google searches.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I'll send the offer now, and if it's okay with you, perhaps we can begin contact by text. I'm in the middle of something, and it would be better for me to be on the phone when I'm done. Is that acceptable?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you are referring to texting by phone, I will have to use my husband's number. I have a dumb phone, as opposed to a smart phone. It is very difficult to text with.
I'm not sure how that would be better than continuing what we are doing now. Are you saying that we would start by phone text, and switch to voice when you are done with what you are doing. We could wait a while until you are done, and do the whole thing by voice at that time. How long do you anticipate before you are free to talk by phone?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I was thinking of texting initially and then switching to a phone call. I'm working on getting food onto the grill for dinner, so it shouldn't be terribly long. We can exchange phone numbers and I'll call you ASAP. Will that work?