Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I have a 20+ year old Hampton Bay ceiling fan, Model C-52(CH)

Customer Question

I have a 20+ year old Hampton Bay ceiling fan, Model C-52(CH) that needs a new fan switch. I bought Harbor Breeze(###) ###-#### I have watch numerous videos online and cannot figure out how to wire in the new switch. The old switch has long been removed,so I cant tell how it was wired. The fan has yellow, orange, grey, lilac, purple and black wires. The switch has L, 1, 2, 3.
Can you help me to determine what color wire goes to each?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) A ceiling fan motor only has 3 speeds and 1 OFF position......thus comprising 4 wires. Not sure why yours has 6 wires?
2) Unfortunately, there is no wiring standard when it comes to ceiling fan pull switches as each manufacturer and even the same manufacturer with different model numbers can be different.
3) The only consistent wire color amongst fan manufacturers is the black wire and that is typically the hot wire feed into the switch. The 1,2 and 3 positions corresponding to the wire colors can vary.
4) Did you purchase an exact replacement switch and make note of which wire colors were terminated on the original switch?
If the replacement switch is a generic pull chain that was purchased from Home Depot or Lowe's, there is a 50% chance that is may not work. Even though the exterior of the replacement switch may look similar to original switch, the internal switching patterns can be different. Once again, an exact replacement switch is needed. Otherwise, the fan speeds may not work and/or may not work correctly with a generic replacement switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....I am unable to have a "live" conference phone call at this time as I am driving and don't have access to my computer.
Double check the quantity of wires as there should only be 4 wires that connect to the pull chain switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fan has the following wires; black, gray, brown and lilac. The fan motor is on the kitchen table and hot wired into an extension cord. I have touched the black wire to each of the colored wires, but have not gotten the motor to spin. Tried all wires together, but to no avail. I do receive a spark when touching the wires. If there is no resolve to this, I have 2 hunter old time fans in storage that I can substitute. Just don't really need a cast iron fan in that space. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
Thank you, ***** *****
voice(###) ###-####cell (###) ###-####email***@******.***
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the wire color confirmation.
1) On most Hampton Bay fans, the wire colors to the 3 position switch are as follows:
L = Black
1= Grey
2 = Brown
3= Purple
2) The black should be the hot wire feed into the switch. If you have an AC voltmeter available, the black to a white neutral or the black to a ground wire should = approximately 120 volts.
Try the positions and wire colors shown above and let me know if this works?.......Thanks.......Kevin!
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
For whatever the reason, the ceiling fan manufacturers never provide schematic wiring diagrams for the internal connections of the fan motor 3 speed pull chain switch, light kit, capacitor and/or wattage limiter. Thus the reason, the wires must always be labeled and/or a photograph of the connections must be taken prior to de-installing an internal fan component.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If the fan motor will not turn, it is possible that the capacitor is burnt and may need to be replaced. The motor capacitor is responsible to controlling the fan motor speeds. If any signs of a burnt mark on the cap, it needs to be replaced with a similar micro-farad (uf) cap rating.
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!