Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I incorrectly wired my three wire dryer with a four wire.

Customer Question

I incorrectly wired my three wire dryer with a four wire. I plugged it in and it sparked. One of the prongs is now black and even though I correctly wired the dryer now, it doesn't work. Thoughts?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) How many wires for the dryer branch circuit? Do you have 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 equipment grounding conductor in the circuit or only 2 hots, 1 neutral an no ground wire?
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
1) Need confirmation on whether the house dryer circuit is a 3 or a 4 wire circuit as this is the determining factor if the dryer will be wired to a 3 or 4 prong receptacle? If an equipment grounding conductor is present, then the dryer must be installed as a 4 wire circuit and not a 3 wire circuit.
2) Was the dryer circuit wired using a 4 wire Romex cable or installed using EMT metal conduit or some other type of cable system?
3) What type of dryer receptacle do you have? A 3 prong NEMA rated 10-30R or a 4 prong NEMA rated 14-30R?
4) How did you terminate the cord wires at the back of the dryer? What cord wires land on which dryer screw terminals?
Reply back to me and let me know what you have in place and we can take it from there.....Thanks......Kevin!