Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have a hunter ceiling fan with a green wire. Where does

Customer Question

i have a hunter ceiling fan with a green wire. Where does the green wire connect to
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Do you have an older home, which doesn't have bare ground wires included with the other two circuit wires?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just need help replacing the fan switch on my hunter ceiling fan
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. You have 4 wires, and a switch with 4 connection points, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the black, brown and grey but I don't know where the green wire go
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
OK. There is a process you can use to get the switch properly wired. First, find the live wire. If you don't have any type of tester you can use to identify the live wire, you can proceed as follows...
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Pick any two wires and touch them together. If the fan runs, note the color of the two wires you touched together. Pick one of those two and touch it to another wire, which you hadn't already touched it to. When you find one wire that makes the fan run when touched to any of the other 3 wires (one at a time), you've found the live wire.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Put the live wire on "L" on the new switch.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Before you connect it to the switch though, you should touch each of the other wires to it, one at a time, to identify the speeds each of the other wires control.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fan is runnin but it does not shut off. It goes high and low but it does not turn off
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
It will shut off when the switch is wired properly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's my problem. I don't know where the green wire go. It's okay.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Once you identify the live wire, and the speeds controlled by each of the other wires, connect the high speed wire to "1". Connect the medium speed wire to "2". Connect the low speed wire to "3". The live wire goes to "L".