Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

I have two Hampton Bay ceiling fans with remotes. One has

Customer Question

I have two Hampton Bay ceiling fans with remotes. One has stopped working. I replaced the batteries and the remote seems to be working, but it indicates that the fan is running when it isn't; it shows that the light comes on when it doesn't, etc. It's like the signals are not being received by the fan---what can I do?????
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Is it possible the dip switch setting in the remote in question was changed? It's a set of 4 switches in the remote's battery compartment.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If that setting has not been changed, this is most likely a failed receiver. They do tend to go out fairly frequently.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you would like me to do so, I can post a link to a Harbor Breeze brand replacement, available at Lowe's. They are pretty easy to install.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I know if the dip switch setting has changed?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You would need to compare it to the setting on the receiver, located within the fan. It's usually in the canopy section, which is the decorative cover for the wires, just below the ceiling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To me it sounds complicated & would take me awhile to accomplish. Can you do option two? Didn't see any Hampton Bay
products at Lowes tho.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hampton Bay would need to be purchased through Home Depot if you want a direct replacement, as that's their house brand. If you go to Lowe's, it will be Harbor Breeze. They wire the same way, and the Harbor Breeze model has the standard characteristics.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lowes is local but Home depot is 40 miles away. How can I print out your dialog so I can follow your advise after we end as it will take some doing on my part. At 75 I'm not that stable on a ladder anymore.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I understand. If you hold down the left button on your mouse and move the cursor over the text you want to print, and then right click on the screen when the relevant text is highlighted, you can then click "Copy" in the window that pops up when you click the right button on the mouse. Once you've clicked "Copy", you can go to any document program, such as Word, and then right click on the screen and click "Paste".
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Happy to help. Please keep me posted on your progress.