Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Why and how important are the two circuit brakers needed for

Customer Question

why and how important are the two circuit brakers needed for the dryer.i have another 220 plug elsewhere and wonder if I could plug the dryer in there
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) The majority of residential electric dryers require a 30 amp double pole circuit breaker using 10 AWG copper wires for the branch circuit. Depending upon how the circuit was originally installed, the dryer cord can either be a 3 prong or a 4 prong dryer cord (with or without a ground wire).
240 volt electric dryers require either a NEMA rated 14-30R receptacle (4 prong) or a NEMA rated 10-30R receptacle (3 prong). The NEMA rating is stamped on the face of the 240 volt receptacle.
2) Just because you have another 240 volt receptacle, does not mean the dryer will work correctly or the dryer plug will fit into the receptacle. Depends upon the breaker and wire size as well as the receptacle prong configuration. There are numerous versions of 240 volt receptacles and they are all different based on the amps, neutral and equipment grounding conductors.
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
I hope that I have answered your electrical question.