AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have purchased two microwaves in the recent past. Both of

Customer Question

I have purchased two microwaves in the recent past. Both of them 120v, 60Hz, 1350W. No matter which receptacle I plug them into, they trip the breaker immediately when I press start. One receptacle was on a 20amp circuit with no other appliances and the other receptacle is also a 20amp circuit but has the fridge running on it. I have an older microwave 120v, 60Hz, 1550W. This microwave works in any receptacle whether it's a dedicated or shared circuit. Any idea why the new microwaves would trip the breaker while the older one does not? Can it be that I have had the bad luck to purchase 2 different faulty microwaves of two different manufacturers?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.
What is the Make and Model of the microwave you have now and trying to use?
Are there other receptacles on the same circuit as the one you are attempting to use for the microwave?
Normally kitchen breakers share receptacles, from 1-4 on each.
Let me know and we can continue,
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Sunbeam Countertop model#: SGB8901 that I purchased and trips the breaker. The model I have that does NOT trip the breaker is a GE model#: WES1130DM1BB. Each circuit has 2 receptacles. The microwave that I'm currently using and works fine is on the one shared with the fridge. That is a normal receptacle. That same circuit also is shared with another receptacle that is a GFI. I have tried the sunbeam on another separate circuit in the kitchen which has a regular receptacle and a GFI receptacle. On both, the breaker is tripped with the Sunbeam model. However, the GE model works fine on either circuit.
Ok, thanks for the added information.
The Sunbeam is actually shown as only a 900 watt model, so really low
demand for the circuit.
I agree, this is a strange when another microwave will work on the circuit.
Tripping a breaker requires an overload, the GFCI is not relevant unless the breaker is the GFCI and not the receptacle.
Have you attempted to operate the microwave in a receptacle in another room in the house?
If not, please try in any room, dining room would be best, ***** ***** are usually on a 20 amp breaker as well.
Even a loose connection would not trip a breaker until it heats up.
How long doe sit take to trip once the button is pressed to start the microwave?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried the microwave in the dining room and it works fine. When it's plugged in elsewhere in the kitchen, as soon as I'd hit start it would trip the breaker.
Ok,
Is the breaker one that has the little button on the front?
That is what it sounds like, the breaker is a GFCI, as just hitting the start button isnt much time for a standard breaker to trip.
thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it helps, I added some pics of the outlets and the panel. The circuit labeled "frid" and "coffee" are the two that I have used with the new microwave and trip. Each of these circuits have one GFCI outlet and one regular outlet.Both of these look the same in the panel box but is there a difference that is causing this behavior? What do you recommend in order to get one or both of these circuits to allow the use of the new microwave?
Ok, thanks.
To find the issue, the panel cover needs to be removed, then the breakers inspected along with the way the connect to the main buss.
Why the one microwave works, there is really no way to know.
But if there is something in the panel and breakers, it would explain why the one trips.
I see a lot of rust on the panel cover, and when that is showing, there is usually problems on the breaker connections.
Inspection will most likely show some corrosion.