Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I am installing a Jasco switch to control a fan. It connects to my zw

Customer Question

I am installing a Jasco switch to control a fan. It connects to my zwave system fine. But the on/off action control (which makes the blue light on the switch go on and off) only occurs when the fan light is in the on position. However, the switch will not turn the fan or light on or off. I know I did the wiring like the old stationary switch, but I wonder if the white wire really is not common. Is is safe to try swapping the white wire with the black and red wires connected to the switch? Any Ideas?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Was the old switch a 3 way?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
You need to reply to this question, not start a new one. It will only delay getting an answer. Having a 3 way circuit the white wire isn't a neutral, which is required. Tell me the colors of the wires on each switch, gold screws and black screw. You'll have to reconfigure the connection on both and possibly at the light also.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is 3-way. I have tried the new Jasco zwave switch in both locations - no difference. My suspicion is that the old switches did not have a common connected to them. Possible? Will I need to have a jasco zwave slave switch or can I use a regular 3-way? Maybe that is part of the problem?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
As I stated, a 3 way uses the white wire for a hot or switched hot. That means you'll need to change the connections in either the switch's or possibly in the light also. I asked for wire colors, which without that info we're accomplishing nothing. Wire colors on what screw colors.