AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Kevin I am trying to install a leviton DZMX1 dimmer and

Customer Question

Hi Kevin I am trying to install a leviton DZMX1 dimmer and I can't figure it out
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kevin. I have an electrical box that is part of a 3-way set up. This switch box has a black live (hot) wire, white and red wires, and a copper ground. When I attach the black to black, white to white, and red to red, the DZMX1 does not work and the other switch does not work. The light does not come on. What am I doing wrong?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Testing the white and red wires with the meter indicates that they are not live. Only the black is live. When I hook the regular switch back with the black to common, the switch and lights work.
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.
TheThe DZMX1-LZ will only work in a 3 way setup, when you also purchase the coordinating remote VP00R-10Z and you also have a Neutral wire in the box.
So, to get it operating, need to see if a neutral wire is available at the 2nd 3 way location.
The master DZMX1-LZ dimmer must be installed at the neutral location and the companion dimmer at the other location.
Wiring will have to be changed a bit at each switch box, but can be accomplished if the neutral is present.
If no neutral, then these dimmers cannot be used for your particular wiring.
See the below link:
http://tinypic.com/r/2yozrqh/8
Let me know what is needed at this stage,
Thanks