Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

We have an in ground pool that is runs on 15amps and is connected

Customer Question

We have an in ground pool that is runs on 15amps and is connected to the main box taking up two slots and running 30amps we want to add a heater to the pool the pool heater runs on approximately 8amps but says circuit breaker amp 20 or 30 depending on the model we use. Will we be okay without changing the amps or will we need to re wire the panel to 60amps?
Thank you!
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello thank you.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Does the panel in question have a main breaker?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. The pool has a box with empty slots outside that is connected to the main breaker inside. The box outside in the one that currently has 15amps and the main breaker inside is the one that's running the double slot with 30
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. In order to know for sure whether you can add an 8 amp load to a panel that has open slots, I would need to know the amperage rating of the breaker that feeds that panel. I would also need to know the size of the wire that feeds the panel you are looking to add the load to. Are you able to post photos here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The amperage rating that feeds the panel outside? How would I find that? The wire for the panel runs through a plastic sleeve down the wall do u want me to measure that?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If I can see the electrical panels that are involved, with the covers removed, I'll be able to tell whether the panel in question can handle an additional 8 amps. Most likely, it can, as that is not a hugely substantial added load.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there somewhere I can email photos?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I can give you my personal email address and phone number, but the site charges a very small additional fee for that, as they consider phone and email consultation an upgrade over a typed chat. If you are interested in contact away from the site (unlimited, including phone conversation), I can send the offer for the additional service now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's okay I guess we will call someone locally to come look at it and make sure. Thank you for your time :)
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome. If you change your mind, I'll be happy to walk you through what's needed. I'm sure I can help you get it wrapped up at less cost than a local electrician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Happy to help. Have a blessed day.