ProGrade
ProGrade, Certified Electrical Contractor
Experience:  28+ years exp. - installation, troubleshooting, & repair of commercial, & residential electrical systems.
72658386

I have a Cummins/onan 24kw generator and an eaton 100a 1ph

Customer Question

I have a Cummins/onan 24kw generator and an eaton 100a 1ph automatic transfer switch. The ATS instructions and diagrams say to connect "utility sensing"wires to terminals N1 and N2 on terminal strip in generator also to connect terminals 23 and 192 in ATS to same number terminals in generator for transfer control connections? I find no terminals that have these labels.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Ken and I will be glad to help with your question. Thanks for using http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-prograde
Your question was reported as underpriced and I agree but will try to help you out in hopes of a positive rating.
Generally, one would need to purchase an ATS that is compatible with the generator in question. Per the Eaton ATS Manual, the Eaton ATS requires an RTC-50 Logic Panel (a separate control board built on a printed circuit board) to communicate with the generator and the ATS to provide proper signals for switching the ATS in light of the conditions that it senses, ie; loss of utility power, return of utility power, generator running & producing power etc.
The ATS does not have this logic built into it.
Hope this helps. I recommend trying to recover your $$ from the Eaton ATS and purchasing an ATS compatible with your generator or selling the gen and buying an Eaton gen. Good luck with your project. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks, Ken