AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

I have a hunter per-22 connected to a 11/2 hp irrigation

Customer Question

I have a hunter psr-22 connected to a 11/2 hp irrigation pump. Had a thunder storm yesterday and nw my irrigation does not work. I can force it with a reset(?) on the relay. but It won't stay engaged. Bad relay?

Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.

If you can verify that power is at the coil on the relay form the controller, then the relay is definitely bad.

The key is power at the relay coil, with a tester, one lead to each wire from the controller will prove or disprove.

Let me know anything further needed.

Coil may activate for just a moment and then it faults out because the coil section is damaged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tommy, thanks for the reply. Yes I have 240v on the front side (going in) and zero coming out. There is a button on the relay, like a reset button and when I push it in I get 240v out to the pump and all works but it will not stay activated. So it's a relay?

thanks

Billy

Yep, it would be the relay, the coil is shot.

The reset turns the relay back, so the power is there from the controller, telling it to run, but it trips out and shuts the pump down each time.

Unfortunately a new relay is needed,

Thanks