Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

THE CABLE TV GUY WAS JUST HERE AND SAID THE WIRE TO THE BOX

Customer Question

THE CABLE TV GUY WAS JUST HERE AND SAID THE WIRE TO THE BOX HAS VOLTAGE COMING IN,,AND NOT TO TOUCH IT,,,BUT I NEED AN ELECTRICIAN TO FIND THE SOURCE,,
HE SAID IT COULD BE FROM ANY WHERE...........
WHAT CAN U TELL ME,,ABOUT WHAT I NEED TO DO, ON MY OWN,,??HE HAD A METER,, THAT TURNED RED WHEN HE TOUCHED IT ON THE CAB LE WIRE TO THE BOX,AND TOLD ME NOT TO TOUCH IT..
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. I suggest calling the utility to start a trouble call on the matter. The source could be from your service but more than likely it is an issue on their wiring. They will check it out no charge and if not their problem you'll need a good electrician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHEN HE SAID DONT TOUCH THE WIRE,,HOW DANGEROUS IS THIS MEAN THE WIRE IS??
IT IS NOT THE WIRE FOR THE CURENT INTO THE BOX,,,,,,,IT IS THE WIRE THAT BRINGS THE CABLE SIGNAL IN THE BOX TO MY SET..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IS IT BETTER IF I SPEAK TO YOU??
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
There is a potential for a shock hazard. Over the years I was called in a similar problems. Most of the time is was a utility issue and current was incoming on the ground. Not an issue with house wiring. That's why I said to call them first, to either correct the problem or eliminate their responsibility. If not their problem come back for further discussion. You'll need a multimeter and clamp meter to check house wiring if necessary. We can have a phone conversation if needed after the utility responds.