Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

Had power to bathroom line install gfi and have on power to

Customer Question

had power to bathroom line install gfi and have on power to one leg
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Does the GFCI have a LOAD side connection or only a LINE side connection or both?
2) Is the GFCI a new install or are you replacing a previously installed GFCI receptacle?
3) Can you successfully measure 120 volts on the GFCI LINE side terminal screws?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 both
2 new
3 no
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the replies.
1) Since unable to measure for 120 volts on the LINE side of the GFCI, that means that you have an open hot or an open neutral upstream of the GFCI. Temporarily disconnect the LOAD side and measure voltage on the LINE side only.
2) Measure for 120 volts at the LINE side of the GFCI as follows:
A) Hot to Neutral should = approximately 120 volts
B) Hot to ground should = approximately 120 volts
C) Neutral to Ground should = 0 volts or very close to it
Let me know the results and we can take it from there......Thanks.....Kevin!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no power coming into the house now
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
The entire house is without electricity?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no just the line I am trying to fix
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
1) Can you measure for 120 volts at the branch circuit breaker to the main panel neutral bus bar and confirm the breaker is working properly?
2) Do you have upstream receptacles and/or upstream wall switches on this circuit besides the GFCI receptacle?
3) I need to know the 3 different voltage measurements at the GFCI LINE side as this will indicate the problem? What are the 3 measurements?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't know how
all lines up stream are out
can't get a reading coming into the house had a reading earlier tried to put a new cfi recepitical on now get no reading on line coming into house
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
1) Remove the door on the main electrical panel.
2) Locate the branch circuit breaker that controls the GFCI receptacle.
3) Set your volt meter to the AC setting and 200 volt range.
4) With the breaker in the ON position, place 1 meter probe to the screw terminal on the breaker (where the hot wire lands) and the other meter probe to the neutral bus bar (where all of the white wires terminate).
5) Was any recent electrical work performed on this circuit besides installing a new GFCI receptacle?
Let me know if you measure 120 volts here and this will confirm the breaker is working properly.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
What are these measurements?
1) Measure for 120 volts at the LINE side of the GFCI as follows:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can't get a reading guess I will call a electrician who knows more than I do
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
1) If you are unable to measure any voltage at the GFCI LINE side, that means you have an open hot conductor or a faulty hot wire splice/termination somewhere upstream (back towards the main electrical panel) from the GFCI receptacle.
2) The problem can be anywhere from the circuit breaker or neutral connection at the panel to any downstream device boxes, junction boxes or lighting fixture boxes since the circuit can easily tandem thru many of these boxes before reaching it's destination.
3) The breaker needs to be confirmed if 120 volts is present. If the breaker measures OK, then an open conductor is downstream from the panel.
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
knows what he is talking about. could have fixed the problem if I knew more about electricity.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
1) Unfortunately troubleshooting an electrical problem is often not a 5 minute job. It is often a step-by-step process of isolation, testing and confirming.
2) If you wish to continue, I will be more than happy to walk you thru the process. Otherwise, a local licensed electrician will need to be called to check out the problem and troubleshoot.
If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.