AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Ok I had a bad rain storm last night. the breaker well

Customer Question

Ok I had a bad rain storm last night. the breaker for my well tripped. I went to reser it and it triped again. The breaker was a little weak so I replace it. I checked the power on the outgoing side of the breaker and there was power and the breaker held. I went to the well and removed the relay switch where the wire from the breaker comes in and not power. Ok As I see it the wire is dead. Why it is not tripping the beaker if the wire is dead? Does it sound like the lightning struck the underground wire?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.It does sound like the cable has been damaged underground based your information.
It sounds like a 120 volt circuit, so if you have a multi meter, you could disconnect the line on both ends and measure the wires for continuity.
When damage occurs underground, it all depends on what has actually taken place to the cable or wire to know if it would trip the breaker or not.
I have seen many lines direct to earth, never trip,it depends on the grounding around the wire/cable.
To test, you would first test the wires in pairs, to find who shows continuity.
Black to white, black to ground and white to ground.
After that, you can tie the black to the white on one end, then check them at the other end.
If they do not show continuity, then it is definitely severed underground.
Same for the white and ground and black and ground.
That will provide the information needed to confirm, and then we can move forward if needed.
It does sound like a break though at this point.
Maybe it is in conduit and can be replaced?
Keep me posted, just reply,
Thanks