Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

I have a fan with white black green blue, out of the ceiling

Customer Question

I have a fan with white black green blue,
out of the ceiling comes three sets, set A comes from above with green black and white, Set B comes from above with Green and black, Set C goes to the side of the box with white and black. The switch on the wall has a green and a black attached to it. I originally hooked all the blacks and the blue together, all the whites together, and the two greens plus the one on the mount together.
It worked both light and fan but blew if I flipped on the Switch. Now blows everytime and Im running screw in fuses. Took it all apart ready to re wire hopefully the right way.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Was there a previously installed ceiling light or fan installed at the ceiling box?
2) If so, do you know which wires that were spliced together? One of the ceiling black wires should have been a lone single wire and spliced to a previously installed light fixture if a light fixture existed. Were the whites originally spliced together?
3) What is the wiring scheme that was used? Does the box contain NM Romex cables or BX cables or a conduit system was used?
4) How many wires and the colors on the wall switch? You only mention 1 black and 1 green. There needs to be an additional wire at a minimum.
5) How will the fan and light kit be controlled? Pull chains for the fan motor speed and the wall switch for the light kit or other?
6) Do you have a 2 wire lead AC voltage tester or an AC voltmeter available?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. Yes a light fixture was in I don't know how it was connected. 2-4 Don't know. I attached pictures of what is there.
I will control it however you may suggest. There are pull string for the light and pull string for fan speeds. 6. I have no voltage testing equipment.The switch box has set D a white and a black that come out the left side. On the top from left to right we have set E of black white and a bare wire that connects to nothing. next set F of green black and white and Set G of White and Black.I should mention that those identified as green are old and could be blue, not sure if they are the same wire hard to tell
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the switch mount all 4 wall blacks are connected to the black from the switch, all 4 wall whites are connected, the bare wire from set E goes to nothing, the bluishgreen from F goes to the switch
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the replies and the pictures.
1) Looking at the wall switch picture, it appears that a green ground wire is attached to a brass screw and a black wire is attached to another black screw. Are these the only 2 wires that are attached to the switch? I only need to know which wire colors are connected directly to the switch screws.
The green wire sure looks like a green to me and not a black or blue wire?
Does the switch contain a green ground screw? If so, any green wire attached to the green ground screw.
I need exact confirmation as to what color wires are terminated to the switch brass screw terminals as I am unable to determine from the picture?
Does the wall switch contain a black screw terminal or only 2 brass screws?
2) In order to re-identify the ceiling box wires, you will need an AC voltmeter, preferably one with an audible continuity feature. Any chance that you can borrow a meter from a friend or a neighbor? If not, Home Depot sells a good voltmeter for $25.00
See link shown below:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Manual-Ranging-Multimeter-MM100/202565780?N=5yc1vZboff
In order to not blow any additional fuses, you will need a meter to identify the ceiling box wires, otherwise it will be a trial and error method and you may end up blowing additional fuses. To correctly identify the ceiling wires and save time, a meter is required.
3) Since the ceiling box contains 3 black wires and they are un-spliced, you most likely have another light fixture or wall receptacles that are part of this circuit and not working. Have you identified those items that are not working in addition to the ceiling box?
4) Take a look at your main electrical panel and look on the top portion. Do you have metal conduit or BX cable or Romex cable exposed on the main electrical panel for the individual branch circuits?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im gonna grab a voltmeter and get back to you probably tomorrow
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
OK, very good. Sounds like a plan.
I will be logged on the site tomorrow, so just reply back to me and we can take it from there. In the meantime, have a good evening.......Thanks.......Kevin!