Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in all types of installations, troubleshooting, and repairs.
9920183

How should I ground my out door structure. Its attached to

Customer Question

How should I ground my out door structure. Its attached to the back of my garage. Wood roof and shingles standing on 7 steel columns. The columns are bolted onto concrete footings.
Should the columns be grounded some how?
Thanks
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi John. Welcome to Just Answer.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Are the columns made up of I-beams, installed in a vertical orientation? If so, they should have flanges that you can connect beam clamps to.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You can drive one ground rod, and then route a #6 copper wire from the rod to each column. I would bury the wire between columns, just to discourage theft.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You can install a beam clamp on each column, and then put a screw through lugs that are crimped onto the ends of the wires that run from column to column.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason Is the grounding necessary. Would you do it.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If it is just metal columns, with one end in contact with concrete, and the other end in contact with wood, I probably wouldn't bother grounding it.