Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

I have an outdoor GFCI that was not working at all. I replaced

Customer Question

I have an outdoor GFCI that was not working at all. I replaced with a new receptacle and still nothing. I came in the house and tested the receptacle directly opposite it, but on the inside of the house. The reading came up as hot/grd reversed. I tested all the other outlets on the line and they all tested correctly. I did change the receptacle on the inside wall, but still got the same reading. I used the terminal screws to connect the wires. Any suggestions?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. A plug tester gives that reading when you have a loose or lost neutral connection. Check the white wire connections on the dead outlet and the working one ahead on the circuit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the connections are good on the dead one as well as the working one. Could it be a broken wire in the dead one? there is a lot of excess wires in that box
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
The loss could be from several reasons, but it is the connectivity of the white wire.