Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

My Mother has a late 70's stove and I want to update

Customer Question

My Mother has a late 70's stove and I want to update to a modern version, I looked into it before. Is there any chance this can be done without any professional help? and the same question goes for a dishwasher older dishwasher that I would like update to modern for her.
Thank you
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Ideally, I would need to know the size of the wire feeding the stove, and the amperage rating of the breaker that the circuit is connected to.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you have already picked out the new stove, it would be good to know the amperage or wattage rating.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Most likely, the dishwasher will be fine without any modifications to the existing circuit.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
If you were installing a new circuit for the stove, current NEC codes require a 4 wire circuit. Most older homes have stove circuits consisting of only 3 wires.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
That's not usually an issue unless you are putting in a new circuit.