Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrical Contractor
Experience:  30 years Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, Adjunct College Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma: Digital Electronics, FCC Technician License
71008832

Planning to have a bathroom with 2 sinks in a 63 inch wide

Customer Question

Planning to have a bathroom with 2 sinks in a 63 inch wide alcove. I will need an electrical
outlet for a shaver, toothbrushes, etc. Since 2 people will be using the 2 sinks, probably at the same time, does the NEC code specify an outlet on both sides of the alcove so people will not be stretching electrical cords across the sink while others are using the sink?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Shown below is the verbiage from the NEC in regards ***** ***** bathroom receptacles.
Bathroom receptacles must be GFCI-protected [210.8(A)(1)]. In bathrooms, install at least one 15A or 20A, 125V receptacle within 3 ft of the outside edge of each basin [210.52(D)]. Locate it on a wall or partition adjacent to the basin counter surface or on the side or face of the basin cabinet not more than 12 in. below the countertop. Receptacle outlet assemblies listed for this specific use may be installed in the countertop [210.52(D)]
2) In the NEC Handbook, they show 2 different examples where a bathroom has two separate sinks. One receptacle is installed on the back wall in the middle of the two sinks. The 2nd example shows a receptacle located to the left of one sink and another receptacle to the right of the second sink.
3) For convenience purposes as well as to provide a sufficient amount of outlet openings, I recommend on installing two separate receptacles.
Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.
Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.
The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at: http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician ……….Thanks…………..Kevin!
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
In addition, the bathroom also needs to reside on a 20 amp circuit.
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.