Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

When I turned a light switch in the bathroom the was a loud

Customer Question

When I turned a light switch in the bathroom the was a loud bang. The lights came on and it doesn't appear to have tripped a breaker. I cant find anything that's not working.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!
1) Any idea as to where the noise originated from? Possibly the wall switch or at the light fixture?
2) Did the noise sound like a sizzling type of noise?
3) An electrical noise suggests a short circuit but may not have been enough to trip the breaker.
4) Was any recent electrical work performed in the bathroom such as swapping out a switch or receptacle or light fixture or fan?
5) Can you temporarily flip the circuit breaker to the OFF position and back the wall switch out from the box, but DO NOT disconnect any wires. Once the switch is backed out, perform a visual inspection on the wall switch wire connections and/or wire nut splices and look for any signs of arcing or burn marks that may have taken place.