Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

Looking to set up a motion detection system that automatically

Customer Question

Looking to set up a motion detection system that automatically turn lights on and off.
This is for an office building with many florescent lights units chained together.
Most of the lights are on a two switch system.
Any pointers or products you know of will be helpful.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. How big is the room the installation will be in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
30 x 30 ft.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Use an Ultrasonic or Microwave ceiling occupancy detector ahead on the control circuit for the switches.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay great, I am a novice. so thanks for the pointers.I am guessing the current set up like this:[breaker switch] ----> [light switch 1] -----> [florescent light 1] -----> [florescent light 2] -----> [light switch 2] -----> [reconnect to breaker switch]Is that a good guess?So we would add this:[breaker switch] ----> [NEW OCCUPANCY DETECTOR] ----> [light switch 1] -----> [florescent light 1] -----> [florescent light 2] -----> [light switch 2] -----> [reconnect to breaker switch]Is that correct?Thanks.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Before the switches.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it. thanks.Since I have some time left, I could use some help troubleshooting a mistake I made while starting this project.While trying to install a test switch, I made a mistake. One of the power lines to the switch came loose and made contact with the metal frame where it lives.This caused a big boom and smoke from the switch.I have installed a new switch and now neither of the florescent lights will turn on.The rest of the lights on the breaker still work, but these two lights on the same line will not start up.Any ideas where to start to troubleshoot?Thanks again. this is great.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Check the panel for a tripped breaker.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes the breaker shut down, but I put it back to 'on' after I got a new switch. No luck, the two lights will still not turn on.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
You'll need to check the fixtures for power.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Got it will do. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You've been great. 5 Stars.Might touch base tomorrow if I get stuck.
Thanks a lot.Cheers
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Anytime you need us.