Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired electrical contractor, 51 years experience.
23932409

Rich, I recently added a 100 amp sub panel to service a

Customer Question

Rich,
I recently added a 100 amp sub panel to service a basement remodel, I still have a couple of empty breakers open in sub panel. We are now looking into a pool. Can I add a new 100 amp sub panel for the pool that woukd feed off of the recently added sub panel for the basement
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! We keep going until you have all of the information you need.. Extensive training & coaching also available.

The wire size feeding the 100 amp sub panel in the basement is too small to support another 100 amp service to feed a new sub panel at the pool.... that is the key issue.

There are other lesser issues, such as the basement 100 amp sub panel is not rated heavy enough to support an additional 100 amp take off, you could change the sub panel but then the wire size would still be too small.

It is also possible that the main house panel is too small to support an additional 100 amp panel for the pool.

All of this needs to be looked at, how much additional load you can put on the existing main panel depends on what you already have running off of it.

.....

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could I move things around main breaker and run another sub panel of main?

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

You might very well be able to run another 60 amp panel from the main to the pool, but most likely not another 100 amp panel.

It is also not likely that you needed the current sub panel to be 100 amps, you may be able to get by with only 60 amps.

With those two changes you might be able to legally make two 60 amp sub panels work, depending on the current size of the main panel, and what loads are connected to it.

Tell me please what the main panel is rated for (it will most likely be stamped on the end of the main breaker) and what major loads are connected to it, such as an electric drier, range, electric water heater or furnace... etc.

http://iaeimagazine.org/magazine/2013/05/16/residential-service-calculations-in-the-national-electrical-code/

We can go from there.

.....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Phil

It is a 200 amp main, we have electric dryer, range Furnace and water heater are gas. The pool will have a heaterand I wanted to additional lighting and outlets to pool area

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

If you are going to contract this work to a licensed electrical contractor he can total all of your loads and classify them (see the link I provided in my previous response).... and tell you how many sub panels of what amperage that you can install onto your existing 200 amp service.

If its a Federal brand or Zinsco brand, there can be problems, it might have to be replaced... many if not all of those have been declared fire hazards.

http://www.ismypanelsafe.com/

It is quite likely that you can run two 60 amp rated sub panels from your existing 200 amp service, especially considering that you only have one heavy electric appliance in the home, the dryer.... it is much less likely that you can add 2 100 amp sub panels.

It is also unlikely that you actually need both sub panels to be 100 amp rated.

If you are not going to be using a licensed electrical contractor, let me know and I will submit an 'additional services' request to do those calculations for you.

.....

.

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Have you talked to a local electrician on this yet? I will be interested. There are always options