AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Master Electrician
Experience:  Contractor-42+ Years in the ElectricalTrade
53189252

Not sure the correct wiring the Square D 8536S starter (relay). I've

Customer Question

Not sure the correct wiring for activating the Square D 8536S starter (relay). I've got all the load and line wire correct (pulled off a 3 Phase relay first) but didn't pay attention to the wires from the pressure control valve that pass power to the relay. I have a photo
Category: Electrical
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.
If you can post a picture, it may help.
But with a 220 volt coil, one line goes through the pressure switch and back to one side of the coil.
The other line goes through the overload block and then to the other side of the coil to complete the 220 volts.
That is the normal on a starter. So, if there is a wire on the other side, follow it and it should lead to the overload.
May be tripped.
If it doesn't have an over load, it may have been directly wired to the 2nd phase.
Bel;ow is a link to an 8536 diagram I had on file. It is for 3 phase but they all operate the same.
Look at the wires going to the M-COIL
http://tinypic.com/r/2s9dow0/8
Let me know
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel like the relay isn't getting power from L2 side of the contact. Contact 3 has a jumper to top of relay on left side but no power on right side of that top side. Attached is a photo. Box is grounded, but my assumption is that the relay is 220v and needs the other leg to activate the magnet and isn't getting power. Relay is new (just sat around for a year before I got to the project). Relay is starting a 3HP compressor motor.
Ok,
Lets get the terminology correct and we can be on the smae page with the setup.
You have a motor starter, it is not a relay.
The 2 wires on the front side on the left and right are connected tot he coil that energizes and closes the contacts on the starter.
In the top left of the starter, the terminals 2 and 3 are a normally open contact on the starter that makes when it is engaged.
This is used only when you are using a start-stop station.
You will have one phase of power go to the toggle, then you wire form the toggle to the pressure switch, then form the pressure switch back to the starter and connect to terminal 2 which also has a wire to the front coil terminal on the left side.
On the right side of the coil, the red wire there, runs down to the overload section where the red bar is located.
It connects to a terminal on a set of NC contacts.
The other side of the contact goes up to the 2nd phase of power.
Tried for 10 minutes to upload a picture, but the site is not functioning.
Will try again tomorrow if needed, maybe the explanation is enough.
Y
Ok,
Able to make a quick sketch and get it uploaded this morning.
http://tinypic.com/r/2mwfgj7/8