Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 46 years Experience
29848548

Ten-tek smoke detector. Is beeping..am sure life span is up.

Customer Question

Ten-tek smoke detector. Is beeping..am sure life span is up. How do I cut take wires out to stop the beeping?
Category: Electrical
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is connected somewhere...attic? Even turning circuit breakers off did not work. Is still beeping from ceiling even though I took the detector down. Model IL-930 Ionization Type 120 VAC 60 Hz 55 mA....three prongs that connect unit in the ceiling to the wires...not a similar detector at Home Depot/Lowes...
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. The detector has a battery for back up when the power is out. The beep is an indication of a low battery condition. The battery compartment may be on the exposed side of the unit or you may have to access it from the back side.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The unit says "contains radioactive material" sealed unit do not open. Not battery. 0.9 micro curies Americium 241.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Detectors of an earlier manufacture may not have a battery and the beep may be caused by acculated dust or possibly a spider. If no battery to change vacuum the unit to resolve the issue. Bear in mind the it is suggest to to replace detectors every 8 years.