Kevin
Kevin, Licensed Electrician
Experience:  29 years as a Licensed Electrical Contractor in Illinois, 5 year college Electrical Instructor, Former Electrical Inspector, Diploma in Digital Electronics, Former Illinois Licensed Home Inspector
71008832

I have an outdoor Electric Box with 2 200 Amp breakers from

Customer Question

I have an outdoor Electric Box with 2 200 Amp breakers from the Electric co. There are also 2 other 220 breakers, 1 supplies my garage and the other is a 30 amp 220 breaker supplying my outdoor AC/heat unit. Can I tie into the 30 AMP breaker with leads to another breaker box that will contain another 30 AMP breaker so I can run a 15 amp circuit and a 20 amp circuit off of it?
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.
Hello.....my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your electrical question. My goal is to exceed your expectations on Just Answer!

1) Unfortunately, no you can't. The exterior A/C compressor unit needs to reside on its own dedicated circuit. The A/C unit is a 240 volt circuit and must reside on it's own separate/dedicated circuit as-is.

2) Sounds like you have a sub-panel installed at the garage, is that correct? Can you access that panel and run a 20 amp dedicated circuit from there?

3) If no sub-panel in the garage and accessibility is still an issue, is there a way to tap into another existing 20 amp circuit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

MY Garage is a 100 foot from my house, I have a couple of ideas, but the first is to look for the closest 20 amp circuit and see if it is feasible to get to it, the other is to cut a hole in the wall below my inside wall breaker box and see the best way I can get to it.

Thanks for your expert advice, I thought the answer was no but wanted to ask and expert.

Herb

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

No problem Herb, glad to assist.

1) I would first look and see if you have another existing 20 amp circuit that you can possibly tap into as this may be an easier and more cost efficient installation. Keep in mind, that if you tap into another existing 120 volt/20 amp circuit, you need to be aware of the existing and future plugged-in loads, otherwise the breaker may overload and trip. If the circuit is a 20 amp and loads are cord and plug connected, code requires that a 20 amp circuit only be loaded to 80% which = 1,920 watts.

2) Since the garage is 100 feet away, extending a new circuit from there is definitely possible, but will be costly due to the lengthy run. The conductors would need to be over sized to compensate for the voltage drop on the lengthy 100 foot run. Trenching & digging would also be required. For only one circuit, this does not sound feasible unless absolutely necessary. You will most likely be better off to run from the main panel and not from the garage if you are not able to tap into a nearby/existing 20 amp circuit

Hope this helps………If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don’t forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-your-electrician……….Thanks…………..Kevin!

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

If you have any additional questions, let me know and I’ll be glad to answer them for you.