Mike, Master Electrician
Experience:  Licensed Master Electrician - OnQ Certified Data Voice Audio Video Installer
11762411

Alex, I'm trying to install a ceiling fan and there are

Customer Question

Hi Alex, I'm trying to install a ceiling fan and there are a total of 4 Black wires (2 hot) and 2 white wires which are tied together with a wire nut (both dead). The 2 hot wires are each coming from a cable in the box and the other 2 black wires seem to run independently up through the box and into the ceiling. The ceiling fan has a white. Blue, black, and ground.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Ken and I will be glad to help with your question. Thanks for using http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-prograde
Would it be possible for you to post a picture showing the wiring? Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are 2 pics.
Expert:  ProGrade replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, let me look
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I should also add there are 2 switches in this room that control the fan.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.
Do you have a volt meter or voltage sensor probe?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have sensor probe I just bought at Home Depot. That's how I know that only 2 of the black wires are hot and other two are not.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, toggle each wall switch. What does that do to each black wire - voltage wise? Does it turn the hots off? Does it make the other wires hot?
Please let me know so that we can continue.
Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will do. Il at work right now so when I get home I'll let you know what I find.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'll be here.
Cheers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so there are 2 switches in this room. The switch by the entry door does change the power in the wires. When I flip that switch, one of the hot black wires is not hot anymore and both the non-hot black wires become hot. So I end up with 3 hot black wires and one dead black wire. The other switch by the bathroom door didn't seem to affect it at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I forgot to mention the white wires which are tied together also have power when I flipped the switch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are the pics of the switch.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not quite sure I understand what is going on. I am going to opt out of this question which will allow other electrical experts to chime in.
Hold on.