Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

An electrician has just left after doing the final work

Customer Question

An electrician has just left after doing the final work of moving my son and daughter-in-law's main electrical panel. Now some of the lights and outlets don't work. My daughter-in -law thinks she may have tripped a breaker using a hair dryer, but we can't get the new box open. It seems to be similar to the one you tried to help someone with before. We found the latch, but can't get it to move far enough to let the door drop.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Push a screwdriver up in the lip and lightly pry the cover down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already tried that.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 1 year ago.
Try again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
"Try again" was not helpful. I'm a 65-year-old woman. I saw in another customer's comments that he had gone to Home Depot to look at the mechanism. That was helpful. I did that and was told by the HD person that there is not usually any kind of latch in the top left corner of the door. That was helpful. Then I decided lubrication might help. So I used White Lithium Grease in the crack at the top left corner of the door. I used an X-acto knife to ease grease up into the crack, while prying up the lip that covers the top of the door. I then used a hammer to tap the door up and down and back and forth several times to ease the grease further into the crack. THEN I was able to get the door to slide down and open. Your input was not worth $16.